Supply Vessels

Free Case Evaluation

Dedicated Louisiana Supply Vessel Accident Lawyer

supply vesselSupply vessels transport equipment and supplies to offshore oil and gas production or exploration rigs – or they perform certain specialized functions. Working on a supply vessel is dangerous and can result in severe injury; moreover, the compensation system for maritime claims works very differently than the system for ordinary workers’ compensation and personal injury claims.

Many different types of supply vessels exist, including:

  • Cable and pipe laying vessels
  • Construction support vessels
  • Diving support vessels
  • Drilling ships
  • Fast crew supply vessels
  • Platform supply boats
  • Safety standby vessels
  • Utility supply vessels

Compensation for Maritime Injuries

Crew members of a supply vessel are normally eligible for compensation under the Jones Act when they are injured at sea in an accident that occurred due to employer negligence. Crew members are also normally eligible for compensation under general maritime law if the accident was caused by the vessel’s unseaworthiness, even if the employer was not negligent.

An injured crew member may be entitled to various forms of compensation, including (depending on the nature and location of the injury and the crew member’s status) compensation for:

  • Past, present. and future medical expenses
  • Lost earnings
  • Lost future earning capacity
  • Lodging while recovering from the injury
  • Pain and suffering, and mental anguish

One of the advantages of a Jones Act claim is that you don’t have to prove that your employer’s negligence was the primary cause of the accident in order to win – you can still win even if your employer’s negligence played only a slight role in the accident. This can make a Jones Act claim far easier to win than other types of claims under certain circumstances.

How Shlosman Law Can Help

Since maritime law is generally federal law, maritime claims work quite differently from claims under workers’ compensation law or Louisiana personal injury law. That is why retaining a New Orleans Maritme Lawyer like Tom Shlosman, who enjoys extensive experience handling maritime law claims, could be your best way to win full compensation for your injury.

A Word From One of My Clients…

Best choice

Attorney Tom Shlosman did an amazing job handling a legal issue for me. He was very professional, honest, and courteous. He did a great job keeping me updated when changes occurred with my case. He worked very hard for me and I would without a doubt recommend Mr. Shlosman’s services.

– Toyin, March 3, 2016

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What should I do if I have been injured in a supply vessel accident?

Take the following actions as soon as you can:

  • Report the accident to your employer and complete an accident report

  • Seek medical help

  • Have someone take photos of the accident scene

  • Photocopy every document related to your claim

  • Contact me and schedule an initial case consultation at no cost

What are some of the distinctive features of Jones Act claims?

Following are a few:

  • The injured seaman is entitled to maintenance and cure (compensation for living expenses and medical care) prior to the resolution of the case

  • It is easier to hold your employer liable than it is for a state personal injury claim

  • The burden of proof is featherweight

  • A lawsuit can be filed in either state or federal court

Does the Jones Act apply to my claim?

You will need to talk to your attorney to be certain. The following information should be helpful, however:

  • You must have been injured on an American-owned vessel.

  • You must be an employee who spends a substantial portion of your time working on the vessel

  • You must be employed by a particular vessel or fleet of vessels

What is the deadline for filing a maritime lawsuit?

You generally have three years from the date of the accident. You only have two years in some government-related accidents, however. Speak with your attorney about this matter once he becomes familiar with the facts of your case.

I Work for Free Unless You Receive Compensation

I don’t charge my clients for accomplishing nothing. That means that if I represent you and you don’t end up with compensation, my legal fees will total precisely zero for the entire case. I don’t mean that you will be entitled to a refund of fees already paid – since I don’t charge upfront fees, you’ll never have to pay me anything in the first place.

Time is of the Essence – Act Quickly to Protect Your Rights

The quicker you act, the more time I will have to prepare a winning strategy for you. If you have been injured in a supply boat accident, or if you have lost a loved one to such an accident, either fill out my online contact form, call me at (504) 826-9427, or email me at, so that we can schedule a free consultation to discuss your options.